Skip to main content

My First Mother's Day Celebration

        So, I got to church today (Foursquare Gospel Church, aba Ibeji, Ibadan) and discovered today is Mothers' day. the church attached much importance to the celebration that the whole service was dedicated to the mothers, I almost got fed up during the sunday school when the whole teaching was about motherhood but as the service went on, I couldn't but realize how insensitive I have been to the lesson the church was teaching by dedicating a whole service to celebrate mothers. I have never celebrated one before, besides, many mothers' day celebration comes up during the year which leaves one in awe the exact day of the celebration but the question is; Is mothers' day worth the celebration?
       Anyways, let me introduce to you my mum. my mum was born into a muslim, polygamous background, deserted by her 'jayejaye' mother, she couldn't get educated as she has to be brought up by her step-sister who felt cos she, herself didnt go to school, my mum shouldn't as well. but alas, she was such a brilliant girl while in primary school, she was at the top of her class when she got admitted into Fiwasaye Girls grammer School, Akure but she couldn't continue because there were no parents to cater for her and she fell into the hands of wrong elder sisters(am sorry though they seems to have repented now but the truth remains the same). I felt more pity for my mum the day we both met one of her classmates that was trailing behind her in primary school at a hospital(I was the one sick at this time) as a Medical Doctor, the man couldn't believe his eyes that the then topper of her class couldn't become more than what he was seeing before him. this scene also touched me, I wept for my mum.
oh my mum! despite this horrible start to life, i have never seen her in a regrettable mood, I have never seen her curse her sister, she took care of her own mother till death,and she place much importance on her family, such a forgiving spirit she has.
      Some mother carried pregnancy for 9 months and then backed the baby for 3 years but my mum did more. I developed a club foot when I was about 2 years meaning she has to carry me here and there for those years that followed after the incidence, I used to visit hospitals every now and then when I was growing up yet she would always be there and not complain, those years were so terrible that I have considered death better than living but her love kept me going, I cannot remember once that she spoke harsh words to me,when I was taken away for some long term treatment, her love wouldn't make me give up.
        She wasn't schooled but damn, she is educated, she is brilliant, I inherited the chromosome that carried her intelligence, one philosopher said "man's greatest motivating force is the desire to please a woman" yea, the desire to make my mum happy, to fulfill her unfulfilled dreams, to do what she was not chanced to do has been the motivation for my academic excellence. I led my class throughout primary school, did the same in secondary school and attended one of the best universities in the country, all for her, each time I wanted to relax in my academics, I remember her. and you know what? despite her knowing her worth and influence in the family, she has relegated herself to the background when it comes to accolades and fame. all the dinners and award winning party I was asked to come with my parents, my dad would always be the one to go , she lives only for us, the family....
    Today, as the celebration was on in church, I wanted to cry that these mothers that are being celebrated, have they done more than my mum? yet here I am, her first child yet I have never wished her happy mothers' day, imagine that I do not even know her birthday, I almost cried for being insensitive. while I keep complaining on how she could have done better in parenting, how she could have been a role model, how she could have helped us in many ways had she been educated, I have lost sight on how much she has done despite her education. it is true that we lose appreciation of what we have when we are covetous of what we don't have.
   So, from today, I would never wish for another mother, I have learnt that it is in satisfaction with what we have that we know its true value, so, I picked up my phone and called her and celebrated her.
Appreciate people while they are alive, your eulogy is of no use when they are dead
if you love your mum, don't hide it like me(cos I truly love her) for what is the use of a love unexpressed?
HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY TO THE BEST MUM ANYONE CAN PRAY FOR AND TO MOTHERS OUT THERE THAT TRULY CARES
Thanks,
Olorunfemi Akuruyejo,
08109733748
13/05/2018
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating my dad on this Fathers' day

      In case you don't know, Fathers' day is celebrated on every third Sunday of June in this part of the world though I just learnt that today too. Fathers' day is not as common as Mothers' day if you observe and that is often attributed to the parental bond being stronger between the mother and the children than with the Father. or who do you love more , your mum or your dad? some dad can be too harsh, too busy to give attention to their children, u know? smiles ... do you think it's worth celebrating such dads?     First of all, who is a Father? A father is a man matured enough not just to produce children but to protect and provide for his family. A father is a visioneer, a leader, head and number 1 in the family. He is a representative of the Godhead in the family, he must be strong enough for his wife to lean on and be wise enough to earn the trust of his children. this definition is not exhaustive though but this is not supposed to be a thesis on who a fath
WHY GIANTS CRAWL ON CAMPUS (HOW FORMER SENIOR PREFECTS BECOME STRUGGLING STUDENTS IN HIGHER INSTITUTIONS) by Olorunfemi Akuruyejo 1.       .   Lack of interest in their course of study : while this may not be applicable to some students, it is however the major cause of failure for many as many that applied for courses like Medicine, Law and top Engineering courses found themselves in other departments they did not choose. Many accepted the course with the aim of crossing to the department of their choice (which does not work all the time). Can I advise you to embrace what you have at hand for a bird at hand is better than ten in the bush. While I would not advise you to settle for mediocrity, I would also want to be sure that the reason why you want to study your ‘choiced’ course is worth it. Do not pursue a course because; -your parents want you to or you want to please others. Many parents want their children to fulfil their unfulfilled dreams; if the course is not your pa